Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Heart-warming soup

The snow is falling heavily here in the hills. It's a brisk 20 degrees. A perfect day for home made soup. Here's a recipe we have enjoyed for many years:

Potato Cheese Soup
1 Tbsp butter
Olive Oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3-4 potatoes, cubed
1 large carrot, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups water
1 cup milk
4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
1 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
chives for garnish

In large pan, saute garlic and onion in butter and olive oil until translucent. Add veggies, chicken broth and water. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in milk, cream cheese and spices.

Pour mixture into blender and puree. BE CAREFUL!!!! Hot mixture will really cause blender to bubble over. Do it in very small batches. Or use an immersion blender. Return pureed soup to pot, add cheddar cheese and stir until all is warmed and melty. Serve with chopped chives and a dollop of sour cream, if you desire.

Of course you can add other ingredients as you like. Broccoli is very good. A couple shitake mushrooms are also delicious. Enjoy!

3 comments:

allie aller said...

YUM!
Thanks, Betty!

allie aller said...

Me again, Betty.
I just tagged you for a meme on my blog. Please go have a look...and I hope you will play along!

Anonymous said...

Betty, I've visited yours sites and enjoyed them. I found you via the herb garden at yahoo group. Your quilts are lovely, by the way. I quilt and keep herbs myself, so this has been an entertaining visit for me.

I have my own herb blog. It's hard work, but satisfying.

I've copied your potato soup recipe, and plan to try it over the weekend. Wish me luck.

If you'd like to visit me, I'm at: http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com