Friday, February 15, 2008

Honey Thyme Mustard Recipe

I'm a good cook. With a name like Pillsbury, there must be a law somewhere demanding that anyone with that name must be great in the kitchen. Although, I'm not related to the doughboy (at least I'm not aware of any relationship), I get all the jokes. I've been badgered to post a mustard recipe. Here's one that is good. It's not the best one I make - for that recipe, you will have to buy my cookbook when I ever get around to it!

1/4 c. dry yellow mustard
2 Tbsp mustard seeds
1/3 c. white wine
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. white wine vinegar (or thyme vinegar you made yourself)
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 c. cold water
2 tsp dried thyme

Put dry mustard, seeds and wine in blender and blend until well combined. Let stand for several hours so flavor develops. Then, add honey, vinegar and salt. Blend. In a small saucepan, whisk cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the cold water to make a paste. Stir in remaining water and whisk well. Add mustard mixture from blender. Cook and stir until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in thyme. Makes about 2 cups.

No comments: