Thursday, June 19, 2008

Full Moons, Solstice and Fairies

Last night there was a full moon. Tomorrow night is Solstice. Talk about magic in the air. As any good fairy lover knows, a full moon or a Solstice are prime times to perchance view the fey folk as they go about their business. When the two events happen so closely, it's sure to double your chances of spying a fairy. So, armed with my camera and a shiny rock (should I step in a fairy ring and be whisked away to another world, I needed a bargaining chip!), I ventured forth. I kept my mind and my heart pure and sent out a psychic call to those of the Other World. Very gently on the breeze I could hear laughter and the tinkling of bells. Silently I crept closer to the commotion. There!, down by some creeping thyme and Jackpot tansy, there was a convocation of fairies! And I wasn't the only one who had happened upon the group.



Obviously, a very important fairy speaker was addressing those assembled. I couldn't make out the voices - to my ear it was just a faint whisper in the air. But I imagine the topic might have been the value of thyme blossoms in a potion or a discussion on the luminosity of fireflies.

The bumble bees also flitted in, offering drinks of freshly collected nectar...


6 comments:

Tina Sams said...

What a gathering you were privy to! T'was a perfect night for the wee folk here, as well. I could hear them singing as they danced to the chimes swaying gently in the trees.

Patti Eder said...

Oh Betty,
What a delight to have this close encounter with the wee people. I have fairy envy and will be looking for some in my garden too.
Patti in Kenosha

Patti Eder said...

Oh Betty,
what a beautiful garden. I have fairy envy.
Patti in Kenosha

Cathy said...

Dear Betty, How fortunate you are to have a regular fairy family in your yard! But I can say that the bumblebees were here yesterday gathering nectar for the feast; they get a royal welcome in our grape arbor! I'll sleep with the window open tonight in case the wind carries the fairy whispers .... Hugs, Cathy

Betty said...

Cathy, from Utah to New York, the fairies can fly in an instant. The whispers are calling you home.

Tina, good to know the fairies are dancing in PA too.

Patti, you will have fairies soon, plant thyme, foxgloves and encourage mushrooms and ferns.

allie aller said...

So rich, so pure, and beautiful!
And I know it smelled heavenly, too....