Thursday, May 24, 2012

Quilt Barn Trail Comes to Schoharie County

 A quilt barn trail is a series of barns showcasing quilt blocks.  The quilt blocks are painted on 8' x 8' wood and attached to a barn.  The idea is to pay homage to both barns and quilts.  Ginny Schaum, quilter supreme, decided it was high time Schoharie County became involved in this movement.  She enlisted me, Betty Pillsbury, and Sharon Aitchison to help out.

It was decided that I would make the first quilt block.  Of course, I chose to do a crazy quilt block!  I have a nice collection of Victorian era booklets which have line drawings of crazy quilt blocks.  In fact, I have put them together into a booklet that I sell.  Here's one below.




Many years ago, I stitched this block.  And this is how it turned out:




This is the design I will be using for my barn quilt.  I will prime the wood and block off the patches.  Members of the Schoharie Valley Quilt Guild (of which I am a member) will come up and paint.  Then, I'll go back and add the seam treatments and floral motifs.  I hope it translates to wood and paint as well as it has to fabric and thread!  

3 comments:

Pamela Kellogg said...

Hi Betty, what fun! Can't wait to see your painted crazy quilt. This block is gorgeous!

And where can I find your booklet for purchase?

Hugs, Pam

Melinda said...

I love to follow the quilt barn trails. I have many pics on my website from travels across the US. My novel, "Grow Old with Me," stemmed from my interest in quilts and the trails.
Your crazy quilt is beautiful. Post pictures of your block when it is complete!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the finished product I'm sure it will be just as gorgeous as with fabric and thread.